The Top Ten Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book
If I have NOT read a review:
1. Believable jacket blurb or the story
2. Enticing cover that doesn’t mimic the cover of a current or recent bestseller.
3. Written by an author I like/love.
4. Historical fiction is from an era or about a person I enjoy/admire/want to know more about.
5. Just sounds fun/worth it/interesting.
6. I like a bookstagram of it–I MAY try it.
If I HAVE read a review:
7. I trust the reviewer/blogger.
8. I trust the source–Guardian, NPR or other publication.
9. If non-fiction, adds to what is known or breaks new ground.
10. A friend I trust says, “I know this isn’t your usual, but….” I MAY try it.