This week’s topic is hard! Historical fiction is a vast genre–there are fictional biographical novels, fictional novels, fictional stories with real people made into fictional characters! Where to start!
1. When the author captures my version of a real person. When they sound like they do in my head or act the way they move or behave in my mind.
2. When a book takes me to the mood of the times as expressed in its music.
3. When I can feel, and smell, and almost taste the surroundings.
4. When reading about a romance makes me feel in love!
5. When it makes me hear the people–not only the words they chose but the cadence of their days and the lilt, rhythm, and rhythm of their lives as well as of their speech.
6. When I feel as swept up in the events unfolding or overtaking the characters as they do.
7. When I worry about a character as though he or she was real or still alive after I’ve read the book.
8. When it makes me imagine my own life in that time.
9. When it makes me wish I knew a character in real life.
10. When you experience something in real life and it calls up a character’s response to a similar situation, whether good or bad.
Check out the rules at That Artsy Reader Girl and join in next week!